Monday’s Meeting Report. We forgot to pick up a handout from Monday’s Illahee meeting where the Health District presented the findings of their recently completed study. Lucas Jordon of the Health District gave an informative presentation which was followed by an hour of answering questions. One of the interesting findings was their testing of a hot spot for fecal coliform pollution along the shoreline of a Bainbridge Island residence where they were daily feeding a bunch of raccoons (estimated to be between 35 and 60, if we heard right). They also uncovered a number of failing septic systems that have been corrected with a few still in process. We will provide the link the final report when we get it.
How does the pollution here compare to that next to the county’s sewer outfall north of Brownsville?
There is a concern by some in this community and other nearby communities that the Health District is like a big regulatory agency bully pushing for higher and higher standards, even though just a few years earlier residents complied with all the legal requirements at the time. So what are the new higher standards going to accomplish and secondly, how much is it going to cost us?
What options or avenues does the average homeowner have if he feels the Health District is being unreasonable? Has anyone ever successfully challenged the Health District?
(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) Briefing by the Sherriff’s Department re home and personal crime prevention as a result of a big increase of crime in Illahee.
(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) Briefing on a walkway and trail along the unmaintained Rest Place right-of-way, by Kitsap County Public Works and the Park’s Department.
(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) Briefing on community restoration opportunities to improve Illahee’s shoreline habitat.
(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) Briefing by the Port of Illahee regarding their plans for the former Deitch property, the possible purchase of the Illahee Store, and the possible relocation of the flag pole.
(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) Other possible presentations desired? _____________________________